Here it is not even the end of November, and I’ve made my first resolution: to read more classics. Please read this post for more information about the reading challenge, hosted by Sarah of Sarah Reads Too Much. It’s a great reason for me to read books I’ve been meaning to read for ages. Please join in.
I’ve included my prelimary list of nine picks below.
- Any 19th Century Classic: David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
- Any 20th Century Classic: Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre
- Reread a Classic of Your Choice: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation)
- A Classic Play: The Tempest by William Shakespeare
- Classic Mystery/Horror/Crime Fiction: The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
- Classic Romance: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (Lydia Davis translation)
- Read a Classic that has been translated from the original language to your language: The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
- Classic Award Winner: The Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor (1972 National Book Award for Fiction)
- Read a Classic set in a country that you (realistically speaking) will never visit: Petals of Blood by Ngugi wa Thiong’o (Kenya)